iSYM (Intelligent Symmetry Control Mooring) Mooring is a Control system for controlling two, four, six or eight mooring winches. It can be connected to the navigation systems for receiving data of the position, and echo-sounder for sea depth.
iSYM Monitoring and control system for 4/8/16 point mooring.
iSYM Mooring Functions :
In addition iSYM Mooring System has functions, such as :
- Measurement of wire lengths and winch speed.
- Measurement of wire tensions and hydraulic pressures.
In Scantrol Mooring all data are logged every second, this way it is possible to present a user friendly and historical graphic presentation.
iSYM Mooring Applications :
- Oil platforms.
- Accommodation platforms.
- Piling barges.
- Dredging Barges.
- Pipe laying vessels.
- Diving vessels.
- Offshore support vessels.
- Accommodation vessels.
iSYM Mooring Features :
- Length and tension monitoring : Graphic and numeric display of wire length and tension. Alarms on overload and if an anchor slips.
- Load position display : Graphic display showing load position relative to vessel or seabed
- Active Heave compensation : Automatic control of winch pull and speed to compensate for vessel movement or for deployment and positioning of load.
- Winch Control : Reliable and efficient control of all electric and hydraulic trawl winches.
- iSPOOL : Computer controlled wire spooling can increase the life time of mooring wires by 50% or more.
- User friendly : Graphics and operations are developed together with experienced skippers.
- Data logger : Simple access to historical data let you monitor how a situation develops or analyse previous recordings.
- Hazardous operations : Area sensors and activators available for Zone 1 and Zone 2 operations.
iSYM Mooring System Units :
iSYM Mooring consists of the following units :
- Computer AC660, contains the software. It is the center of the system, and is connected to all other units with communication cables.
- Winch Interface WI-101. This is connected to all external sensors and actuators (valves).
- Display LCD 17”, a color monitor. A slave monitor can also be connected as an option, and will give readout both forward and aft in the wheelhouse. When two displays are used, a video splitter is required.
- Keyboard KB770. One or two keyboards can be connected. The keyboard is used for all operations in the menu.
- USB TrackBall. One or more poining devices can be connected. The trackball is used for all operations on the screen.
The sensors for length count and pressure measurement are connected to the WI-101 winch interface. This converts the signals to digital codes which are then transmitted to the AC600 computer. The WI-101 winch interface is an independent unit with its own processor. If the main computer should fail, the WI-101 will still be able to carry on the most important functions like remote control of winches.
iSYM measures wire length and tension and control winch speed and pull. iSYM includes simple and well arranged interface to most winch types.
iSYM can control following winches :
Hydraulic : Low Pressure, Medium Pressure, High Pressure.
Electric : AC Motors, DC Motors.
iSYM Winch Interface :
Sensors : Wire Length, Winch Speed, Wire Tension.
Controls : Winch Speed, Winch Pull.
The flexibility of the iSYM system makes it easy to upgrade existing load monitoring systems.
Existing sensors can be used if in good condition, or replaced if required.
There are also various solutions for readout stations locally by the winch, in the control room, or on the bridge.
ISYM has NMEA and Ethernet ports for easy interface to other systems on board.
Electronic Wire Spooling :
iSYM can be delivered with program for electronic wire spooling (iSPOOL). The spooling gear is computer controlled to get exact spooling even with varying wire diameter. You will save time spooling on the wires, and the wire life can be extended by more than 50%. The picture shows Aker Brattvaag Winch on board f/v Atlantic Enterprise. One winch with electronic spooling.
Sensors for tension and length measurement
Various sensor configurations are possible :
Tension measurement :
Load cell in fairlead.
Load cell in deflector sheave.
Load cell in winch foundation.
Load cell in winch brake.
Electric motor current.
Length measurement :
Encoder or pickup on fairlead.
Encoder or Pickup on deflector sheave.
Encoder or pickup on winch drum.
Read more : Intelligent Symmetry Control Tow