The combination of high thrust values with compact dimensions provides additional thrust for a wide range of vessels types. In auxiliary applications, transverse thrusters support the mooring or harbour operations of merchant cargo vessels. When applied in Dynamic Positioning systems, transverse thrusters extend the DP capability of, for example, offshore supply vessels.
Wartsila transverse thrusters are available in a range from 400 kW to 3550 kW for applications in numerous types of ships, including merchant vessels, offshore support vessels, and offshore construction vessels.
Transverse thrusters, also known as bow thrusters, stern thrusters or tunnel thrusters, provide a side force, or transverse thrust, to support mooring operations or position keeping.
Transverse thrusters are available for auxiliary or AUX usage, which is mostly applicable with merchant vessels to support harbour manoeuvring and mooring operations. Where the transverse thruster is part of a dynamic positioning (DP) system, the rating for DP use applies.
- Superior hydrodynamic performance for high thrust – diameter ratio.
- Robust, reliable and maintenance friendly design.
- Easy installation; high level of integration.
- Maintenance friendly design.
- Ergonomic controls with intuitive touch screen displays.
- Controllable or fixed pitch propeller.
- Auxiliary (AUX) or Dynamic Positioning (DP) application.
- Redundant pumps and/or lubrication filters.
- Compatible with environmentally acceptable lubricant (EAL) for EPA VGP 2013 compliance.
- Tailor-made tunnel with tunnel ends cut according to hull form and additional circular or longitudinal stiffeners.
- L-drive with intermediate shaft and separate E-motor foundation.
- De-mountable, low noise, horizontal drive variants.
- Package with electric motor and starter or variable frequency drive (VFD).
Related info : Wartsila Propulsion Control System